Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Once Upon a Star

The all too brief time that I spent living in New York City was in many ways life altering for me. This was the city that I always wanted to have as a part of my unwritten biography. Even though I may not have stayed very long in The Big Apple, my time there was significant, largely due to the people that I came across. The Wall Street crowd, that I saw some but not too much of, worked their days and nights with the sole purpose of making excessive amounts of money. When you looked into their eyes, you could almost see dollar signs. This post however, is not about them. 

It was really the others who were of greater interest to me. The artists, the actors, the dancers, musicians, writers, comedians etc. Some of that abundant talent would make it to the Lincoln Center, Broadway or a hip bar in The Village, while many would perform at parks, subway stations and other public places, reaching out to a larger audience, making a lot of folks happy, most waiting to be discovered and some who were satisfied doing just that. This post is about one of those performing artists that I know absolutely nothing about.

A lady, who I’m guessing was in her mid to late eighties, lived in an apartment building close to mine on the Upper West Side. Small in stature, possibly having shrunk a few inches over the years, her companion was one of those pocket sized dogs that she’d have on a tacky jeweled leash while holding a walking stick in her other hand. 

The thing that always struck me was how even on a bustling Manhattan sidewalk, there was no way you could miss her. Although she probably had no specific place to go to, each time she stepped out of her apartment she looked like a million bucks. Not a single strand of auburn brown hair out of place, her face a little theatrically painted, always in the sharpest of outfits with shoes and a purse that looked expensive. I had seen her getting into the neighborhood Thrift Store a few times, so even though she may not have spent much money, she certainly knew how to put herself together. 

I usually made it a point to go up to her and say hello. After a few times, she began recognizing me and I’d get rewarded with a smile. There was this one time when she looked especially sharp in a black turtleneck, black pants, a shocking pink blazer, matching shoes and a glittery black bag. It was a sunny day and her eyes were covered with fashionable sunglasses. When I made a comment that she looked like a movie star, she giggled. Her speech was a little incoherent but I’m pretty sure she told me that she used to be an actress. 

We never exchanged many words during the time that I lived there. It was her presence that always fascinated me. How even in her twilight years, she continued to be a star. I wondered if she was a leading lady in the grand old days, when people would dress up to go to the theater. I could picture her in a shiny gown, cigarette in hand, signing autographs and having her picture taken. Or was she a struggling actor who couldn’t make it past the bit parts, but still performed on stage every night? 

A couple of weeks before I left New York, I followed her into a diner where she would always go for her mid-morning coffee. The diner was in the same block as my apartment and I myself was fairly regular there, usually for a beverage and sometimes a slice of pie. The owner, Mike and one of the servers, Ralph, knew me by name and were also aware that I was heading back to India soon. 

I walked over to the next table in the same line as hers, facing her back. Upon entering the diner, I had told Mike that I would be paying for the lady’s order. It was the only way I could think of establishing some sort of connection with her. She ordered a coffee and along with it Ralph brought her a slice of peach cobbler that he knew was her favorite. When she protested that she hadn’t asked for it, he said that it was compliments of the gentleman sitting behind her, who happened to be a fan. She turned around to look at me and with those lips painted bright red, gave me the biggest smile I had seen coming from her. 

At that hour of the morning, the diner was mostly empty - Ralph brought over my coffee and sat down across for me. 

“That was a nice thing you did,” he said. “I can see how special you made her feel.”

It was an emotional time for me. While I knew that my fling with the city had come to an end, I was in so many ways not ready to let go of it. In fact I was clinging on to everything I could, making new memories and savoring old ones in the little time that I had left. That lady had been a part of my New York adventure, brought a smile to my face several times without her even knowing it and all I was doing in return was buying her coffee. On my way out I asked Mike if he knew her name. 

That was the last time I saw Evelyn. 

The next year when I went back for a two month visit to New York, the economy was in shambles and I was shocked to see that the diner had shut down. I had specifically gotten there at 10:30 am, the time that Evelyn would usually drink her coffee. Where could she possibly be now? I waited around for a while, expecting that she would walk by and show me a glimmer of recognition. 

I continued to wait at the corner of 75th Street and Columbus Avenue, which is where I would see her most often, hoping I’d get a glimpse of the star making a special appearance just for me.

Corner of 75th Street and Columbus Avenue (Picture Google Maps)

27 comments:

Susan Rostov said...

Ratan - I resonated with this one big time. One because of the way we met at the airport over a New Yorker. Two because when I worked at Jazz at Lincoln Center, I lived at 88th and Central Park West. Used to go right by the corner in your story. Three I, too, have the same love affair with New York that you have. Ahhh autumn in New York...nothing can beat it. Loved your vignette. Susan

Normal People Worry Me said...

I thought you would enjoy this one Susan. I often remember the time we met at the airport, sitting across from each other, reading the same issue of The New Yorker. Hopefully I will see you in the not too distant future in our favorite city one more time.

Uma K said...

Beautiful, riveting piece, Ratan! I could picture Evelyn so clearly (good that you didn't put a pic of hers). And I can understand your sentiments about leaving NY. Wonder what happened to her....

Normal People Worry Me said...

Thank you Uma. Out of the blue I thought of her last week and decided to write a post. I wonder what happened to her too - it's been 7 years so I'm guessing she may not be around.

Priyadarshini Nandy said...

:) so beautiful. loved reading this one

Naresh said...

Very well written piece, Ratan. And I can completely identify with those sentiments. Hey, Evelyn, wherever you are....you've got a reason for a big smile - there is another friend of yours who thinks of you.

Normal People Worry Me said...

Thanks Priyadarshini. I'm so glad you loved it.

Normal People Worry Me said...

Thank you Naresh. Memories are a funny and wonderful thing. Which is why we need to keep making them!

Rashmi said...

Brought a lump in my throat......!

Normal People Worry Me said...

Mine too when I was writing it Rashmi didi. Thanks for reading.

Richa said...

Good one, Ratan!

Reminded me of a documentary called "Advanced Style" on Netflix. It was all about these chic NY ladies in their 80's+ that were total show stoppers. Chk it out if you can. Sure you'll enjoy it and get into a NY state of mind:)

Thanks for the post.

Normal People Worry Me said...

Thanks a lot Richa. I will definitely check out the documentary.

Aruna said...

Loved your post about the star.

Rama said...

Loved this one about. .the elusive star. .

Unknown said...

There is no city like NY. The vibrant energy of the city is palpable!! I too have stopped and admired many of these senior ladies, dressed impeccably, walking down the street with their cute little dogs in the upper East and west side. And you know they have gotten dressed up just to go to the corner store or the diner ��

Normal People Worry Me said...

Thank you Aruna (didi) and Rama!

Normal People Worry Me said...

I agree Usha, there is no city like New York City! For more reasons than one could list here.

Susmita said...

So well evoked. I could just picture her. Wonderful the way you make the reader feel THERE.

Normal People Worry Me said...

Thank you for your lovely comment Susmita. Feels good for me to know that you got transported to NY for a few minutes with my words. It's a big compliment.

Sabita said...

Enjoyed reading it and also enjoyed reading all the comments.

Normal People Worry Me said...

Thanks Sabita didi for reading and responding!

Trapti Jain said...

Beautifully written Ratan, I was transported to that world and could resonate with your feelings.. keep writing :-)
Trapti

Normal People Worry Me said...

Thanks Trapti. With readers like you, I will definitely keep writing!

Normal People Worry Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carol Rice said...

Beautifully written Ratan. As the Waiter said ... "That was a nice thing you did" You would have made Evelyn's day.

Carol Rice said...

Beautifully written Ratan. As the Waiter said ... "That was a nice thing you did" You would have made Evelyn's day.

Normal People Worry Me said...

Thanks again Carol. Well her presence had made me smile so many times - this was the absolute least I could do.