Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Monday, December 30, 2013

It's Just Another Year


Over the past few days I’ve had a number of people ask me about my plans for December 31st. The fact that I have no plans, have not made any attempts to make plans and nobody (well ... almost nobody) has asked me to be a part of their plans, would have bothered me until a couple of years ago. I would be going around feeling sorry for myself and feeling that I am unloved and unwanted.

Not today though. Completely ‘socialized’ out, I am in the alone zone. Reading, sleeping, catching up on television and movies, as much as I love being with people, I also love being with myself. Not having to make conversation, not having to listen to people around me, the silence as a change can be so refreshing and so golden.

It’s been an incredible year for me, mostly because I managed to travel a fair amount. To places that I hadn’t been to before. To places that I’ve previously lived in and continue to love. Re-establishing connections with people I’m related to and am friends with. It really was a good travel year covering beaches (Goa), deserts (Rajasthan), my favorite city (New York), mountains (Uttarakhand) and the city I was the most skeptical about and loved more than I could ever imagine, Varanasi. 

Somewhere along the year I became indifferent to the kind of food that is considered cool. Pretentious ingredients (edible flowers to name just one), imported ingredients (eat fresh, eat local), restaurants with more glitz and less taste, the words ‘foodie’ and ‘fine dining’ and a previously loved television show, left a sour taste in my mouth. 

The more I came across people obsessed with money, the less I loved it (and them). Don’t get me wrong - I like having the money I do because it allows me to live the life that I have. I hope in 2014 my finances allow me to do the things that I did in 2013. I have no aspirations of staying in star hotels and flying first class (I would love to fly first class - who wouldn’t? But at what cost?). Budget hotels, economy class and home stays are fantastic. 

I read this morning that Michael Schumacher at the age of 44 is fighting for his life from a skiing accident. With severe brain injuries, the man that supposedly has ‘everything’ may end up having nothing going forward, even if he does get to live. Our lives can change in the blink of an eye. We must make the most of what we have right now. 

What am I looking forward to in 2014? Pretty much what I am always looking forward to. Being healthy. Warmth from my family and friends. Peace. Lots of travel. Delicious comfort food. Hopefully it isn’t asking for too much.

I’m going to end my year just like I would end any other day. Because all I want to have tomorrow is what I have today. 

I hope all of you also get to have what you want in the new year. Happy 2014!

12 comments:

Pranav said...

Nice article! You are right, eventually one realizes, life isn't about money but to live it itself!

Ajay Bansal said...

well...cheers to that! Happy 2014!!

Naresh said...

Good one. Best wishes for 2014. Come over to Quartz if you don't mind stepping out of the 'alone' zone.
Cheers

Ashoke said...

A lovely write up. If you really look at it 31st December is just another day in your life and 1st January follows .

We humans make that day something special . But then I guess it is just an excuse to splurge and have a good time.

Take care and a very happy 2014.

Uma said...

Very very nicely written, Ratan! You've completely echoed my thoughts...I feel the same way about the New Year too!! Wish you a 2014 filled with whatever you want! :)

Aparna said...

That was a very nicely written article and it felt like your inner voice aka your soul was speaking. Somehow it reminded me of the old times.. Back when you just moved to ny for your 2 year stint.

Stay healthy and keep up the adventures. Happy New Year

Rashmi said...

Thks for the new year wishes. Wish you the same and much more in 2014!
The write up was very, very .....from the heart. Liked it a lot :)

Jackie Frost said...

Dear Ratan,
I enjoyed as always reading your blog. You are a very fortunate man, to be able to travel around enjoying the planet as you do. I agree with you that being unemployed is much better than working. I have just been off for 2 years living on a sail boat and cruising around. Because of family complications we recently sold our beautiful boat and began working again. Yuck!!! I only want to make enough money that I can start being a vagabond again. Traveling and making new friends is what makes me happy too. I hope 2014 is a great year for all of us and I look forward to reading more of your adventures.
Love, Jackie

Elsa said...

Happy new year my dear friend. Another year of having known you and look forward to continue knowing you in 2014. Hugs to you and your beloved family.

Aparna Mathur said...

Very candid. It resonates my state of being completely. Felt the same on the 31st dec but also deeply thankful for all that I've received. Wishing you a wonderful year of travel and reflection. Cheers, aparna

Carol Rice said...

Agree with everything you wrote ... except perhaps, that I would have called this piece "it's just another day" ... hope yours is beautiful x

Normal People Worry Me said...

Read this myself after ages and you're absolutely right - it should be called 'It's just another day'!
No complaints about mine. Hope yours has been great - are you still with the cats?