Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Monday, November 24, 2014

The Quest(ions)

Another piece I recently wrote for my Writers Group where the topic was Quest.

It had been 9 months since I had quit working and 5 months since I had moved back from New York City. Here I was sitting literally at the edge of a cliff in Himachal Pradesh, wondering what life had in store for me next. Not for a moment was I worried or concerned - the emotion I felt mostly was ‘excitement’.

The Big Apple was actually the beginning of my quest. On a lark and without giving it much thought, I turned in my notice at a job in Bangalore that was not just paying me extremely well, it was convenient and relatively less demanding than my previous positions. Making a lot of money had stopped being of interest to me for a while.  ‘Convenient’ and ‘undemanding’ translated to boring and a waste of my time. Having just lost my last surviving parent, being single and responsibility free, it was time to make a change, get out of the rat race and experience a life that I never had time for. 

I turned down a senior management, high paying job that was first offered to me in New York. They couldn’t understand why I wanted a pay cut and a lower position when I didn’t have to take one. I tried explaining to them that I wanted a balanced life, a job that would allow me to have time to build a relationship with the city. If I had to spend my life at airports and inside buildings or on conference calls, I was better off in Bangalore. They continued to look puzzled and I could almost read their minds which said “who turns down more money you idiot”

Outside my apartment building in New York

The eighteen months in New York City were life changing for me. I moved into a one-bedroom apartment by Central Park and within a week it had everything new, from the largest piece of furniture to dessert spoons. Anybody walking into that apartment would find it hard to believe that I had just moved from India. I had never fallen in love with a city until then. A city that gave me the option to do as much as I wanted. I became a member of a Journalists Association, which organized events with authors, big names in media, folks in the movie industry among others. I attended film festivals and workshops conducted by famous Hollywood directors, went to concerts, the Opera, dance performances, watched shows on Broadway, off-Broadway and off-off-Broadway. I took culinary lessons, ate street food as well as ate at the snootiest restaurants. I celebrated Thanksgiving, Christmas, Diwali, Cinco de Mayo, St. Patricks Day, Easter, Halloween, you name it. I watched the US Open, NFL and NBA games at the stadiums, threw a Super Bowl party and celebrated on the streets when the Giants won. I probably did more in that year and a half than most people do in a decade. 

While I wasn’t quite sure what I was searching for, I also knew that it was time to move on to look for something else. A purpose for the rest of my life? Possibly!

The cottage in the clouds in Himachal where I spent a few months

So I did the cliched thing and decided to spend some time in the foothills of the Himalayas. Thanks to the generosity of a friend, I had a cottage to myself at the edge of a cliff. Once there was a huge storm and I was certain that the pre-fabricated home I was in was going to be blown away and I wouldn’t have to worry about a quest any longer. However, that didn’t happen so while I was there I enjoyed a variety of seasons, I made an effort to teach the local kids English, I read, I wrote some short stories that are still sitting in my old Macbook, I travelled some and trekked a lot. What I didn’t do was meditate, which may be the reason that I didn’t get any answers. But then I wasn’t even sure what my questions were any longer, since I was in such a happy place.


One of the homes in Navadarshanam

Recently I caught up with a relatively old friend and we went over to this place called Navadarshanam to spend the weekend. In all the years that I’ve known her, I’ve never seen her so happy. It was as if she had found herself, living a vegan sustainable lifestyle in a little community, planting vegetables, playing with the newborn calf, making chappatis in the communal kitchen and singing bhajans at night, she was completely in her element. Her school kid like excitement was infectious and I was so happy that she had made this discovery.

My friend Uma with Gauri the calf in Navadarshanam

As much as I loved spending my weekend there, I was happy to be home. A while ago I gave up ‘questing’ because I realized that I already had what people quest for. It was my life and the answers had come to me during the course of my adapting to not having a routine, not earning a salary and not conforming to a ‘normal’ lifestyle. 

Never in my life have I had as much as I do now. 

13 comments:

Uma said...

Arre!! You're making me famous Ratan! Gayathri and another friend Manogna had come with me this past weekend. Gauri is growing up - she almost didn't recognise me as I was seeing her after two weeks. It's even greener there now after the heavy Diwali downpour. And we're still waiting for your vegan cake :)

Normal People Worry Me said...

That's right! I promised you a vegan carrot cake Uma. Am off to Mumbai next week. As soon as I'm back. Will you pick it up????
You are anyway famous!

Anonymous said...

Quests have a habit of showing up at your doorstep.

I have made a habit of regular introspection. Not a major meditation session, just regular 10-15 minutes at a time, sometimes longer, just taking time to stop doing and think about what I am doing, why I am doing it.

It helps that I spend a lot of time alone, on the road, when I'm on contract, or at home when I'm not.

Good that you are able and willing to explore all the different things you wish to try. I've tried to focus myself on a couple, other wise, I'd be baking breads, making music, getting into photography, traveling and writing anf a million other things I'd like to try.

Right now, I'm focusing on music and writing.

Normal People Worry Me said...

It's great that you're making time for the things that make you happy Sloword. As for me I am done with my introspection phase (I think)! Having chanced upon this life I now want to make the most of it.

Sujata said...

That was a superb piece!!!!!!!!!!

Ramani said...

it is good to see friends living a happy life and making the most of it. Keeps adding to my perspective as well. We only live once. May as well make the most of it.

Normal People Worry Me said...

Thanks Ramani. Being single makes it possible!

Aruna said...

Liked your post very much. Contentment is what one basically needs in life. That is what the sages say. Just surrender to life as it comes without expectations and attachments. My thoughts are the same.

Anonymous said...

Your writing is very fresh and best part of your writing is its not very crafted. Its simple, crisp and interesting.

Guddu said...

Just read thisTM. Beautiful!

Normal People Worry Me said...

Thank you Aruna didi, Anonymous and Guddu! Your feedback sincerely means a lot.

Carol Rice said...

Wonderful piece Ratan with beautiful photos. You have a lovely face with a peaceful expression sitting on the steps of your (old) apartment in NY. I would love to Retreat to a Cottage in the Foothills of the Himalayas. I've always felt a tug at my Heart when I see photos of the Snow Capped Mountains.. especially in Tibet (for some unknown reason) And I love the photo of Uma and Gauri. Uma's beautiful Light shines brightly. Thank you for sharing this interesting part of your Journey x

Normal People Worry Me said...

Thank you for your generous comment Carol and for enjoying the piece :) Yes the Himalayas are very close to my heart and I try to be close to them as often as possible. Thank you for saying such nice things about my face and Uma :) I will be sure to communicate your words to her. Very glad that we've become friends.