Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Big Snore

Let me start off by saying that I have slept with more people than most people I know. Before you begin to raise your eyebrows and go ‘hmmm’, the keyword here is ‘slept’ and for the purposes of this post, no more than that. Which makes me wonder when it was that ‘sleeping’ with someone began to mean ‘having sex’. But that’s a topic for another day.  

Recently I travelled to Ladakh with a friend whose name begins with the letter ’N’. Our first night was spent at the Ibis Airport Hotel in New Delhi since we had a ridiculously early morning flight to catch. A few minutes after we went to bed, our room began to shake with N’s snoring. For those of you that haven’t stayed at an Ibis, they have small, efficient, capsule like rooms which allow snoring sounds to bounce off of every close wall. Needless to say, I didn’t sleep for a moment the entire night and just to get back at N, I woke up at 2:30 am, turned on the lights, banged on doors and took a shower. Yeah dude, I’m going to punish you by being clean early in the morning.  

The next night wasn’t much better, after which I decided that if I didn’t get my own room and a proper night’s sleep, N would probably not make it out of Ladakh alive.

Save your sympathies for now because I’ve been on the other side, driving my sleeping partner crazy. Eight of us had once gone to Dehradun, where we were staying in a fabulously charming bungalow with enormous bedrooms, 4 poster beds, sunken baths, definitely one of the warmest and most tastefully done up places I have ever stayed at. There were 4 bedrooms with 2 of us sharing each one. The first night apparently went off okay because my roomie didn’t complain. The next two nights however, my snoring was so loud that he had to sleep on a daybed in one of the other bedrooms. Which actually worked out pretty nicely for me as I could spread myself across that king size piece of antique. 

The funniest snoring story though brings me to when I was living in Chicago and was driving to the Smokey Mountains with my friends Mike and Elsa. We began our journey at around 8 pm with the idea that we would drive for a few hours, spend the night at a hotel and continue on in the morning. Except that when we were ready to call it a night, there were no rooms available at any of the hotels we were stopping at. We were pretty much in the middle of nowhere, there weren’t a lot of hotels to choose from in the first place and apparently a movie was being shot so for miles and miles everything was booked.

Finally at about 4 am we got to a Howard Johnson and the three of us, tired but still nutty and goofy, got off our car in our sunglasses (don’t ask) and walked over to the reception desk. Elsa was in the middle with her arms around Mike and I. She looked at the lady at the front desk and asked in her most serious tone, “honey, do you have a room we could use for a couple of hours?”

Of course the 3 of us burst out laughing and at that unearthly hour, our laughter sounded really, really loud. Anyway, a few minutes later we got ourselves a room, Mike had brought a sleeping bag and Elsa and I got the bed. I don’t remember how long we had slept but all of a sudden every light in the room had been turned on and Mike was standing at the foot of our bed going, “would you guys just knock it off with your snoring?”

How exactly does one do that since a sleeping person has no idea that he/she is creating havoc? 

The good news is that the last few people I have slept with during my travels have not complained about my snoring keeping them up. It’s probably because I now have a relaxed life and get (more than) adequate sleep. So if at some point you’re thinking of sleeping with me, it’s pretty likely that you won’t be disturbed. 

Oh and by the way, how many people have you slept with?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would. Keep you up, I mean.

Unknown said...

sleeping with my aunt,my mom's sis was my first exposure to horrors of snoring. she would slip into sleeping and snoring within seconds and also wake up as easily asking, "am I snoring, dear?". And how come the person in the next berth always snores on a train journey, I wondered every time. Well, the tables have turned. Right now, my daughter gently wakes me up saying ... yeah!!

Jenny said...

Do I have snoring stories? Oh my, yes! My mother is the loudest snorer I know. Before she got a CPAP, there were times we would be able to hear her snoring well across the house (with the volume on the TV on). I can hear her rumbling through the walls. Anyone who shares a hotel room with her is sure to not get much sleep.

The story worth telling that comes to mind is not so much a snoring story, but simply a sleeping story.

It happened in August of 2012. My mom and I were at my Grandma's cabin with a hand full of our relatives (including my great aunt, who is a nun-pictured above on the couch along with my aunt Therese and mom's cousin Jane). Everyone was sitting around eating ice cream and chatting. After a while, there is a rumble coming from the corner of the living room..... It is my mom snoring (they had gotten up early that morning to go fishing). I think you know this about my mom, but she can sleep through anything. Once she is out, she's down for the count. So here we all are having a good laugh because my aunt bought a silly wig earlier that day and placed it on my mom's head. Everyone took turns getting in funny positions behind her. My favorite of those was my uncle standing with his pointer finger in the air, looking angry, and pretending to yell at her. I will send those your way if my aunt finds them.

Thank you for sharing your stories about a problem that I am all too familiar with!

Hugs,
Jenny

Manda said...

One of my biggest nightmares is sharing a room with someone who snores. ( much better terminology than sleeping with someone ).

I remember in my playing days when I would be sharing a dormitory with 20 other LOUD individuals I would go to sleep with a Walkman and ear plugs to be able to get some sleep.

I guess this is the main reason why I shudder to share a room with Suzy :) for one.....

Manda

Naresh said...

For the record - I am officially changing my name to Sadasivan N; I will no longer respond to the N word :D
But seriously, I not a big snorer USUALLY, so I want to believe that people who are small snorers turn out to be BIG snorers @ higher altitudes - in this case 12K feet. And I do feel bad - no, not for you having a shower at 2.30am but for waking me up at that ungodly hour! Statistically speaking, if you had let me sleep through, we would have between us had a good half-a-night's sleep - which is not bad for starters ;)

I of course have my share of snoring stories (nah, this time I am the victim), but that is for another day.

Normal People Worry Me said...

Good thing the chances of us traveling together are nil Ajesh!

Normal People Worry Me said...

I wonder if the person at the next berth was thinking the same thing about you Madhavi! I guess what goes around, comes around.

Normal People Worry Me said...

That's hilarious Jenny! I can totally see that with MC. Once we were at a Jazz Club in New York really late in the night - she put her head down and went to sleep even with loud music playing!

Normal People Worry Me said...

You've shared a room with Suzy in Goa, Anand. But I suppose with all the drinking that was going on, we were dead to the world once we slept off!

Normal People Worry Me said...

I hate to burst your bubble Naresh but the snoring started in New Delhi, which is not at any altitude!

Naresh said...

Ratan - that is the take off snore! :D

Rashmi said...

Enjoyed reading quietly this noisy sleeping blog!

Carol Rice said...

A good Read.
Definitely not answering that last question.

Normal People Worry Me said...

Oh come on Carol, whats a number between friends?!!!