Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Home is Where the Heart is - the Sequel

I know the previous post was supposed to be my last for the year. But it wasn’t. So shoot me!

This one is basically to respond to all of you that reacted to my last post either by leaving a comment, sending me an email, calling or chatting with me online. In this post I will just respond to the comments and that should also take care of the emails that I received.

Naresh – I appreciate the encouragement but I’m not moving back to New York. At least not yet. You are however, still going to lose a friend in Bangalore as I’m not staying here either!

Aparna – I can’t believe you actually put a public comment out there. It was great spending the time with you in New York and briefly in Chicago – even though I’ve decided against moving back (for now), I will still see you in 2009 when I visit.

Madhu – You’re right I was restless towards the end but I think a short visit back would have taken care of that state of mind! Also the fact that I was running out of cash could have had something to do with my restlessness!

Mike – Dude … I honestly had no good reason to move back when I did. My plan was to spend a year or so in New York. I thought I was done and should try something new. I still had my house/car etc back in Bangalore so I hadn’t really gone with the intention of staying for too long. I especially hadn’t counted on falling in love with the city!

Rashi – Its funny how you’ve known me for such a short time and you still know me well enough to say ‘but knowing you, you never know’. So true. The last thing I want to be is predictable! I do appreciate the welcome with open arms and hope to see you guys in 2009.

Sheetal – I don’t think I have an issue with feeling a sense of belonging. I’ve never felt that I didn’t belong in any of the places that I’ve lived in but I’ve also never felt that I belonged in New York as much as I did! As my friend Elsa put it - “it’s love”. I think it is. But sometimes one has to work to obtain one’s love and that’s what I need to do right now!

Susan – That was such a sweet comment. I was truly touched. Who knew that two strangers sitting across from each other at the airport would become good friends and have so much in common.

Uma – I’m at a point where I don’t think I could live in Bangalore for 6 months in a year. I think that I’m pretty much done with this city!

So are you wondering what I’ve decided to do in place of moving to New York? I hope that I’ve perked up your curiosity. I will reveal my plans to you in the New Year. Meanwhile have a safe and enjoyable time on the 31st night/1st morning and I hope that 2009 brings us all peace and a better economy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm starting a pool on where you're headed next:

10 bucks($) on Bombay - Arjun

Anonymous said...

Ratan, I'm glad that the postings keep on coming. I feel like a voyeur to your life and can't wait to see what you do next. Who would have ever thought that I would even care and yet I am anxious for 2009 to see where you will move. keep me posted. Jackie

Anonymous said...

thanks for totally ignoring me in the post.

Anonymous said...

Dear Ratan
I know it will not be Kolkata, but hope it is. It will be great to have you around.
Have a blast on the 31st. Stay safe and good luck.
Bye.
Ashoke.

Uma said...

Bhaanda phod doon??? ;)))

sttalk said...

now whether u like it or not a post like that generates not just curiosity and conversation....but also suggestions - in plenty - here's my two bit!
i think china is a good place to start - though dharavi is also being redeveloped and cud soon look like shanghai - so v r informed - so why not stay within our desh but get the antarrashtriya feel ?? who knows u may b come the next slum bow wow billionaire ?
but seriously, wherever u choose to wander, here's wishing u one helluva ride in 2009...