Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Reaching out to the Sky


Patience is not a virtue I possess in abundance. When I returned from New York to Bangalore I was all set for my next adventure. Except that I didn’t know what the adventure would be. There were rumblings of ‘working on a movie’, ‘making a corporate training film’, ‘taking up some consulting/training opportunities’ (zomg!) but they were just rumblings. I didn’t know which of them would materialize and more importantly which of them I really wanted to pursue.

Not knowing where my life was headed was driving me up the wall. Barely any time had passed since I had returned but I needed answers right away. I was waiting for a sign and not doing a great job at it! Shall I go back to New York? Shall I take up a job in Bangalore? Do I want to start a restaurant or an exclusive catering service? Questions that I wasn’t getting an affirmative response to. From myself.

And then one evening while I was having a chat with my friend Aparna (Paul-Jain) who, during the course of our typing, pointed me to this site that made my decision for me. I was going to be a volunteer teacher in the Himalayas! Suddenly New York no longer interested me (for now) and the idea of spending extended time in a beautiful mountainous region, teaching little kids English, living in a little room with minimal comforts, traveling to places that I’ve always wanted to go to and writing the book that I’ve been itching to … it couldn’t be more perfect!

Going back to New York would have been too easy in some ways. The hardest thing would have been to get a job in this economy but other than that I was going to be back in an environment I had lived in and loved. The excitement of exploring something new was missing and even when I was speaking to my friends in the Big Apple about the possibility of my moving back, my heart was someplace else. I’m not saying that I’m never going back to New York – I hope to and I would love for it to be my base city. But right now I’m headed ‘someplace else’.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve always loved the mountains. It’s been my favorite place to vacation. When I lived in the US, I was so overwhelmed by the mountains in Colorado and Montana. It’s about time I explore the Himalayan mountain system, which happens to be the planet’s largest, and is home to the world’s highest peaks. My heart is pounding just writing about it!!

A couple of days ago I was reading a cover story of a magazine which said ‘2008 – Thank God its Over!’. Not quite my sentiments. I thought 2008 was one of the most exciting years of my life and I have my postings to prove it! I had the ultimate urban experience in the ultimate urban environment. And now its time to do something completely different. No more unlimited choice of restaurants, theatre, sporting events, bars, nightclubs, waking up to police car sirens, noisy neighbors, annoying tourists. I foresee a lot of silence. It’s going to be so dramatically different. It’s time to reach out to the sky.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds very exciting and new! I know I have always been a person who likes the outdoors and all it has to offer. Besides being beautiful, it is peaceful and it is a great place to think and explore. For as long as I have known you I didn't realize that you loved the outdoors so much. I guess it is because I have never spent any time with you there.

Anyways, good luck with your decision and I hope you make it there as I think you would love it. At least for a little while. :-)

Prasanna Karmarkar said...

Hi Ratan,

That is a great decision...quite inspiring for me to hear. Would this mean that you won't blog as often, given that you'll be out of the reach of even radio waves, leave alone internet cables :-)

Anonymous said...

I think you need a pet.

ev

Uma said...

The Himalaya is a breathtakingly beautiful range. Make sure you carry a good camera - no point in blogging about a stay in the mountains if you don't include photographs :) I made the mistake of not carrying a camera when I visited Garhwal. Have a great time!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the decision made on going to Himalayas (sounds like you are becoming as ascetic!!). Anyway, good luck with teaching kids. Regards

Anonymous said...

Dear Ratan,
Well, I must say that this decision is going in an opposite direction from what I expected. I admire your desire to go some place new and do good work, but as little as I know you I am having a hard time envisioning you in the kind of environment that you were describing. I have spent time in Nepal and it is about as far from New York and it's comforts as you could go. For me it was like stepping back in time hundreds of years and the whole month that I was there I had diarrhea. Maybe you will feel so good about the work you will be doing that you won't mind the living conditions. I hope so. Good luck!
Love, Jackie

Anonymous said...

Hello, Ratan:
I’m a friend of Susan Rostov and she shares your posts with me from time to time. Back in 1998 I left my job, bought an old van and traveled across the back roads of the US for three years.

It was a remarkable time in my life and I will always be grateful for that wonderful adventure. So I am excited to read about your decision to teach in the Himalayas.

Have you read Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen? I think you might appreciate his commitment and adventure!

Best of luck to you and safe travels!

Unknown said...

Congrats on making a decision! I am sure you will have a wonderful experience and the children you teach will be enriched by your kindness for the rest of their lives. My only question is what will you be doing with all of the designer clothes you stocked up on before leaving NYC? I cannot imagine they will have the same effect there.

Naresh said...

Ascetic? My foot. Ratan - I think you are going to forge an alliance with Richard Gere during one of his visits to the Dalai Lama. And I wouldnt be surprised if you popped up in Hollywood, script in hand, dark glasses, hat, et al. Go dude, go!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! Hope you have a great time. Teaching (esp kids) is a tough job, though... going by the experience of another friend who has been a volunteer teacher for a couple of years. The presence of the Himalayas should make it easier :-) When can we visit you?!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool!....... literally as well!
Made me think of a book that a friend of mine was telling me about and I was thinking of reading, called "Three cups of tea" by Greg Mortenson. About a mountaineer who ends up opening schools in remote parts of the Himalayas. Very inspiring, read it if you haven't already.
Follow your heart and give it a shot. Hope it brings you a lot of happiness and helps you find your purpose....
Any luck with finding a tenant yet?
Hope you'll be able to stay in touch from up there!

Anonymous said...

Nice...you sound like the Monk who sold the Ferrari...and I am glad that this decision has not been spurred by a heart attack :) Good luck and God Bless:)

Anonymous said...

Ratan, WTF? Are you on drugs? Go back to NYC.

Anonymous said...

OMG are you really going to go to the mountains? That is awesome. You definitely need to write a book. Keep me posted on your adventure - you are truly an inspiration on how to live life to the fullest.
Stay safe
Love and hugs,
kathy

earth said...

hi bro.. i am so pleased to read what you've got here. that's quite an understatement though. i've just returned from a short n sweet trip to the kumaon region where i got a little up, close n personal with the himalayas. n though mine was a touristy experience for the most part, just inhaling the air one breathes in there is like meditating.

i think i'm also pleased coz it sorts of strikes a chord with me. i have been to sidhbari, a beautiful quiet town close to mcleods ganj and dharamshala. and there i could see the dhauladhar ranges from the peaceful ashram in which i stayed. i would love to go back there some day, and be in that ashram and be a part of the CORD mission run by kshama metre. well, some day.. glad your some day is right here.

overall, i think its an awesome thought - only i see it more as a part of a beautiful journey that you're initiating or rather continuing on. who knows, what such divine surroundings might inspire you to do. if just the thought of the mountains is so exciting, being there would be nirvana. and yet, maybe, you will just have your quiet time to write your book (great idea!), and/or start working on the script for the movie you shall work on some day.

essentially, the opportunities are endless. enjoy your time in the mountains!

Guddu said...

I think this is going to be very good for you. I wish I could be there too. Tell me all about the experience.
Guddu

Carol Rice said...

"Patience is not a virtue I possess in abundance .. " a couple of hours ago on IG you disputed that Patience was a Virtue. Ha !! Gotcha !! All this aside ... I loved reading this Post. What a beautiful calling to go to the Himalayas and Teach the little children. I read the Post and saw the Photos of you with the children (bearing in mind I'm working ... back to the Past) ... but I thought it might have been a temporary situation ... not a "calling" as described above. How long were you Teaching in the Himalayas Ratan ?