Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Sunday, February 28, 2021

I Need To Make a New Friend

I’ve been watching a show on Amazon Prime called ‘3 Caminos’ about 5 strangers who become friends while walking the Camino de Santiago in Spain. What used to be a pilgrimage of 800 kms in ancient times to the tomb of St. James, today attracts people from across the world to walk either in its entirety or to cover a portion of it. 

A few years ago when I was planning my trip to Spain, this was something I really wanted to do for a week, which would of course only be about 1/5th of the actual walk. As exciting as it seemed, I didn’t end up doing it because I was nervous about being in a new country and walking the distance by myself.


The past year has been difficult for most of us in so many ways. While I really have nothing to complain about having work that I love, family and friends around me and all the comforts that I could want, I go through days feeling incredibly restless for adventure, for seeing places and for meeting new people. 


I put the show on pause so I could write the following lines and share them with you in poetry form. A form that I’ve rarely written in. 



An overwhelming feeling went thru my heart

For something new, for an interesting start

To create a story and make a new friend

The beginning of something and memories to tend

An adventure for me to come across and explore

In a place I’ve never gone, never been to before


I want to make a new friend

Who laughs easily or even drops a tear

Unafraid to follow his heart

Goes thru life without a fear

I want to make a new friend

In a bar that I happen to find

Exchanging stories over a beer

Filled with wealth of a different kind


In a place that I don’t live in

In a place I only have in my mind


I want to make a new friend

Sing songs at a karaoke

Or silently listen to the sounds of the sea

I want to make a new friend

With someone who is most unlike me

Leading a life that I’ve never known

In a place that I don’t live in

In a place I’d like to be shown


This isn’t the life I choose to know

The smile behind the mask

We’re afraid to show

You may be happy within your home

With people you love

And people you’ve known


But I need to make a new friend

A friend I’ve never met before

In a place that I don’t live in

In a place that I so wish to go



24 comments:

Unknown said...

Superb just remember Im always there when u need ne .

I know I should always be here when u need me but I'm always there

Unknown said...

Beautiful
Simplify love it

Unknown said...

Beautifully worded thoughts as usual

Raj ganapathy said...

wowww and absolutely Wow-some
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Unknown said...

excellentRatan๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘

Manda said...

Simply awesome. You are so talented. You continue to raise the bar in every piece you write.

I can relate to every line in the poem and which is why it is not only the placement of words but the sheer depth of the piece that overwhelms.

Unknown said...

Ratan it is simple and yet touching. Each time I read it did bring about a new perspective. Awesome.

Unknown said...

Beautiful ! You have created the exact feelings that i have most of the time .

Unknown said...

Yeah bro...knowing your nature this past year must've left you real restless..I really want you to find this new friend ...seems to be a fun person ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Ash said...

Beautiful words and beautifully written
You are indeed very creatively talented
I pray all your dreams come true and you be happy and cheerful just the way you are now.

Priya said...

That poem was brilliant! Loved it to bits!
For starters it rhymed but the beauty lies not in the rhyme. It lies in how well it conveyed your restlessness, your desire to get back on the road, your need to meet new people, new places, forge new bonds. Prose could not have said it any better! Poetry says it all in fact.
Hoping to see more of this 'Robert Frost'y side of you. And hoping that in 2021 you do all that you want to do.

Carol Rice said...

Sounds good Ratan. I'll watch out for the '3 Caminos'. I enjoyed the movie 'The Way' with Martin Sheen. It was visually beautiful, quite emotional and very inspiring. Your Poetry had a similar effect on me. May we all find new Friends and new Adventures in a safe new World very soon.

Unknown said...

Lovely.. so true..totally relatable..ur quite multi talented..

Manav Bangia said...

Wow!! This says a lot abt what we are or have become, the anxiety that we live with. Yet there is hope and belief that there is a future that promises to keep us going.

Vinod said...

Wow Ratan, lovely poem. I think if this Covid lingers a little longer, we will have a full book of poems by you soon. Hahaha... Cheers buddy...

Richa said...

Very beautifully and aptly put!
Wishing you well!

Ashoke said...

A excellent piece of writing. Strikes the right cords. Waiting for your next write up.

Damyanti said...

Ratan, beautiful and flawless writing.
You've blossomed as an amazing poet!

Sonia said...

Read your article. Your style never fails to keep me hooked to the last letter. Keep sharing. Cheers

Kavi said...

Wow Ratan !!!
Tusi seriously talented ho ji.
Love it ... it’s really great .... u know what... as I read it , I actually lived it myself for those few moments.

Rashmi said...

The poem is very very very touching, unusual and imaginative. I loved it!

Mini said...

Beautifully articulated. And I can relate too! Coming to know people you haven’t known before is so energising, very true!

Shreshtha said...

Wow! The sentiment resonates with everything we have been feeling this year, and more as the pandemic drags on. Lovely words; thanks for sharing!

JME said...

Thank you for sharing this! As usual, your words are a fantastic work of art! This was perfect in every way! Definitely encapsulated all the feelings of being trapped at home and shielded from the human emotion communicated through smiles and other facial expressions. Soon enough the world will be safe to navigate and no one will ever want to go home and there will be plenty of opportunity for socializing! Hang in there! Great post! Looking forward to the next one so you can tell about more of the things we're all going through and don't realize it until you point it out!