Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Where the Heart Was

I wrote this piece recently for a Writers group that I belong to. After some debate with myself, decided to share it with my world.

When I was just a little boy my parents moved into the apartment where I went on to spend seventeen years of my growing up life. With four older sisters, one of who got married when I was five, we were previously crammed into a modest two bedroom place of which I remember very little. My biggest memory of the older flat is running into our household help who was carrying a pot of hot water and having it spilled on me one morning. Something I would much rather forget.

The new apartment was large with four bedrooms, three baths, three balconies, a formal dining room and even a room for storing ’stuff’. The entire place had Italian tiles laid out on the floor which made it always look shiny and new. The bathrooms had granite walls and one of them was large enough to be a bedroom. Each time we had a new visitor, my dad would give them a tour of the 2400 square foot rental, with probably the same kind of pride as the owner.

It was always a very busy household with a revolving door of relatives who would come to stay for a while, whether it was for business or pleasure. Additionally there were friends of my sisters and mine that would drop by to hang out. I don’t think it was because of the apartment size - it was more because my mother was much more welcoming than the other mothers. The refrigerator was always packed with jugs full of summery drinks, refreshing lemonade, mango milk shake, bael sharbat etc., and varieties of sweets to satisfy a family of sugar lovers. A supply of snacks would keep coming from the kitchen, whenever there were people over, which was pretty much most of the time. A busy household it was for sure.

More than a hundred people were invited to my 10th birthday, which was celebrated right in that apartment. I had recently turned the corner from a long and serious illness and my parents were in the mood to party. The place was completely packed with people, an enormous cake had been ordered from my favorite bakery, Flury’s, and my bedspread was completely covered with presents. The excitement of opening those wrapped gifts, most of which were books, was the part I recollect most vividly. I also remember one of my uncles asking if it was my birthday or my wedding that was being celebrated!

In all the years that we lived there, my family saw both good times and rough times. Many years of affluence were followed by some years of struggle. We went from owning two cars, two drivers to using public transportation. Household help became minimal, the sister just older than me began working and I was tutoring school children while in college. I remember the stress that my parents were going through but I don’t remember us being unhappy. While eating at restaurants came to a stop, there was always food at the table. Looking back, I think it taught me many lessons that helped me get through life as a stronger person.

Over the course of my existence I’ve lived in eight different ‘homes’ but it’s the one I grew up in, the one in New Alipore, Calcutta, that must have made the biggest impact on me. I say ‘must have’ because that is the only place I dream about on a regular basis. Not the apartments I rented in Chicago, the house I owned in Naperville, Illinois, the pre-war apartment I loved in New York City or the penthouse that I’ve now rented out in Bangalore. It’s not as if I miss the place or even think about it, but more often than not, its the set for my dream theater.

Four years ago I went back to 617 ‘O’ Block, which is now occupied by a childhood friend and his family. The entire time that I was there I felt a strong sense of discomfort. I haven’t figured out if it was due to my friend intruding into my memories or if I still felt a sense of ownership for a space that was no longer mine. When they moved into the flat, they inherited a trunk with some possessions from our lives. Crazy about rock music from a very early age, there was a stack of LP records that I was so happy to see but had no clue what I could do with them. The biggest treasure in that trunk however, was a graduation photo of my mother, which I was sure had been lost.

Last year I passed by the building again but didn’t stop. The exteriors looked like they had been recently painted. I asked the taxi driver to slow down a little as I kept looking back until it was no longer in my line of vision. No there was no feeling of melancholy, no moistening of the eyes and no lump in the throat. That apartment was no longer home but it’s memories would be mine forever.

Someone I met recently asked where home was for me.
I thought about it for a second and replied, “it’s wherever I am at the moment”.

11 comments:

Naresh said...

Fantastic story, Ratan. And such a similar story to mine. I had a very similar experience about two years back, when I went up to 61/D Southern Avenue, Calcutta - our home had become a jewellery store, and my bedroom was the sales counter!
And yes, we too went through good and bad times, but I think I am what I am because I was roasted on a pan of experience that has held me in good stead.

Keep penning, Ratan. Very very nice again.

Sabita said...

So much nostalgia. Brings back memories and situations I hadn't thought about in years. Beautiful piece.

Richa said...

This piece reminded me of 12# and my memories of what was home. That too, only exists in the minds and hearts of those that grew up there, as even the original structure is gone.

Thanks for sharing!
Best,
Richa

Radhika said...

What a lovely piece and how wonderful to get a peep into your world for a change!
Keep writing

Aruna said...

It brought back so many memories and it's written beautifully. When you all moved to the new apartment I was not there.
Last comment about home is very nicely put.
Keep writing more and more.

Sujata said...

So well written and straight from the heart. Actually got a lump and brought tears to my eyes. Those were the days my brother..........

Amar Sharma said...

Ratan -Though I keep reading your stories all the time , I even try to keep pace with your timeline , but never commented or added to your world in recent times .

But somehow I felt nostalgic about the New Alipore house where I remember having most of our free time in Calcutta .

Yes ,those were the days I will always remember

Normal People Worry Me said...

Thank you all for your generous comments. It's always great to get your positive feedback. Keep reading!

Carol Rice said...

I think it's wonderful that you feel .. Home is Wherever you are at the Moment ... must be a Warm Safe Settled Feeling of Acceptance. Wish I could say the same, but I don't feel like I "belong" anywhere. Is "belonging" the same as "feeling at home" ???

Normal People Worry Me said...

Why do you not feel like you belong anywhere? Most of the time I do feel that I belong and am meant to be wherever I am at the time. About the future, who knows what's in store.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this beautiful post, Ratan. Took me down memory lane too. We spent a few years in New Alipore soon after getting married, in G block and then in D block and have fond memories of the neighborhood.