Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Monday, March 24, 2014

Finding La-La Land


“And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make” - The Beatles

In my dream last night I was at the doctor’s office. I had gone there to pick up some test results and was told that I had 6 weeks to live. When the physician broke the news to me, I had around me, a few members from my family, a couple of  my co-workers from Chicago, who I am not even in touch with and Leonardo DiCaprio. 

Somewhere in my sub-conscience, I knew that this was a dream and I wanted to wake up, but wasn’t able to. When I finally did open my eyes, I didn’t necessarily feel a sense of relief about the death sentence not being real. Instead I began to think about my life, as it stands today and how I would change it if I knew that the end was near. 

Last month I discontinued my subscription to the newspaper. The reason being that I no longer wanted to begin my day reading about dirty politicians, accidents, lost planes, murders, rapes, global warming, etc. Maybe if they come up with a publication that has stories about the good instead of the bad, a ‘Good News’ paper, I would want to have it in my home.

From my Facebook newsfeed, I’ve hidden the friends that spread gloom through their postings. Or try to influence me with their political or other viewpoints. Believe it or don’t, but I do happen to have a mind of my own. As far as I’m concerned if you’re not using Facebook for entertainment purposes, then sooner or later you will go from being hidden to being unfriended. 

In the real world, I’ve distanced myself from several people that were once a part of my life. Those obsessed with money, those who have the rich as role models, those who don’t bring anything positive into my life, people who take me for granted, who have trouble laughing, who are narrow minded or close minded, who are living in a time warp, whiners, fake people, fanatics, cynics, know-it-alls, glass-is-always-half-empty types etc. Been nice for too long, I now need to be free from the likes of such. It’s a miracle that I still have friends!

I used to be but have now stopped being concerned about who likes me and who doesn’t. I try to be a good person, try not to hurt anyone, try not to get angry, not be judgmental, spiteful, but sometimes I screw up. The day I achieve Nirvana I will stop (screwing up). Until then, feel free to not like me. 

I’ve become a lot less dependent on people. If I want to watch a movie, I don’t think twice about walking over to the theater by myself. If I’m in the mood for a slice of banoffee pie at a local cafe, I have no trouble enjoying every bite of it at a table by myself. I’ve stopped consulting anyone and make my own decisions, even if they happen to be wrong. I’ve made peace with squabbles within the family and between friends. Get along, don’t get along, it’s your life and not mine. 

I spend my time doing the things I love, travel being on the top of my list. I am at my happiest when I travel to a new place or to a beautiful place or to a place that has special memories. I sleep guilt-free as much as I want. I eat the foods I love, I entertain at home, my workouts give me positive energy as well as some time to hang out with my gym buddies, I recently began meditating, I constantly meet new people and then there are times when I shut everyone out and just enjoy being by myself to read and write and sing and watch television.

So after lounging around in bed for quite a while and after much introspection, I came to the conclusion if I had 6 weeks to live I would squeeze in a couple of trips, eat all the foods I love, have a big farewell party and hang out with people that make me laugh. So pretty much continue to live the way that I do now. I’ve found my la-la land and am constantly discovering that it’s a great place to be in. 


I’m not in the least bit concerned about my morning dream coming true but I seriously wish I could figure out what the heck DiCaprio was doing in it.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I'm motivated to look for my own la la land.
- R

Sid said...

1. Liked what you wrote. How liberating to be "free"
2. Google the "Good news network"
3. I don't care if you've hidden me from your newsfeed! :-)
4. It was good to see you in 2013. Hope our paths cross in 2014 as well.
5. Keep writing and exploring! :-)

Susan Rostov said...

We are miles apart geographically but we’re on the same page for our remaining time on terra firma. Prioritize! That’s what one has to do with each passing year. I must say, in your case I always thought you did prioritize, but just goes to show what one does not know!

Travel---where is your next destination? What about Spain where the rain stays mainly on the planes? Take good care, my friend.

Normal People Worry Me said...

Thank you Anonymous.
It was good to run into you in NY this past year Sid and yes I hope we get to meet again soon. Any plans for India or Turkey (where I am going to be!)? Thanks for pointing me to the Good News network - it's a nice addition in La-La Land!
Prioritization began a few years ago and is continual process Susan. Traveling to various places in India this year and a trip to Turkey in Sept-Oct is on the cards.

Sujata said...

You are really very lucky to be living in la la land :)

Ashoke said...

It is time I started looking for LA LA Land. It really is becoming too much just to please people , and who do not appreciate what you really do for them.
Take care and just do what you want to and enjoy.
Di Caprio in your dream? Could be because he is also looking for LA LA Land!

Uma K said...

I think I may have beaten you to this one, Ratan :) I stopped getting the newspaper in 2011, and I've moved away from the kind of people you've described for quite a while now. I no longer care what people think of me. I'm only not able to take off on trips the way you do. I'm also working on getting rid of stuff - to try living with less, so that life is simpler. Let's see how it goes...

Normal People Worry Me said...

I agree Sujata!
After a point you just realize that it's not worth it Ashoke and one should make the most of one's life. Will check with DiCaprio the next time I see him ;)
Uma, I'm not surprised you beat me to trying to achieve Nirvana haha! I've seen the change and you look happy, which is what we all want to be.

Aruna said...

So you found your La la Land. I loved every word of it. Your attitude is very good and you are very positive, which I enjoyed. May God bless you with a long life and everything good. Lots of love.

Normal People Worry Me said...

Thanks didi. I try.

Mahathi said...

I really identify with your comment about the newspapers. I often wish that there was some publication that would highlight the positives, the reasons for hope, and positive strides in scientific and technological knowledge. Newspapers can be so deadening and defeating. I've realized that you get to learn most important and relevant news from friends, peers, family, etc anyway. I've found that upbeat blogs can be a good alternative :)

Normal People Worry Me said...

It's good you've figured out early Mahathi that if we don't get to hear about the good things via the normal channels, then we have to figure out where such can be found. Because 'the good is out there'!

Mahathi said...

Absolutely :) In fact, I'm thinking of starting a series on my blog where I share one piece of positive information everyday...

Normal People Worry Me said...

I look forward to reading about them Mahathi!

Mahathi said...

Thank you!

Carol Rice said...

Good read ... totally agree with "no bad news" stories .. I read the headlines on our local paper Mobile App and only read the articles that appeal. I Don't watch TV News. Ratan, no need to "un-friend" me ... ignore me if I'm boring you, I'm just amusing myself !!

Normal People Worry Me said...

I could never ignore you Carol! I always look forward to hearing from you.