Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Thursday, April 23, 2009

My Students My Teachers



Let me proudly introduce you to my students.

The oldest, Rekha, who just finished school and would like to become a flight attendant. Confident, ambitious, aware, pretty much today’s woman. The only thing that’s holding her back is her (lack of) fluency in spoken English and the inability to acquire funds for her training school.

The next oldest, Neha, in her tenth year of school. Shy, conservative and completely the opposite of Rekha. Will probably get married by the time she’s out of her teens.

Manoj, who’s the same age as Neha. Crazy about Bollywood music, good in sports and loves clothes. I bet he dreams of growing up to be a movie star.

At fourteen, the next oldest, Tekchand a.k.a Teku, the sweetest and simplest of the lot. Completely clueless about schoolwork and can barely read either the English or Hindi alphabet. However, an excellent cook and the most sincere worker at home.

Little Vedchand, age twelve, looks eight, who completely hero-worships me. He’s always looking for ways to please me, has been trying the hardest to learn English, gets shouted at the most but is definitely the teacher’s pet!

Rohit in class/grade four, terrible speller, couldn’t care less about school, frivolous, loves to run around the hills, pick flowers, shoo the monkeys, anything that could get him away from his books.

Little Neha nicknamed Nani the female version of Pig-Pen, has a cloud of dirt and dust follow her wherever she goes. She’s a little monkey, cute as a button, climbs everything that comes in her way. Thinks studying equals memorizing.

Lastly, Lokesh, the six-year-old brat! The brightest in the bunch with amazing comic timing and a smile that would melt anyone’s heart. Undoubtedly everybody’s pet.

Teaching children is a much more challenging task than I had expected. And as I write this I can almost picture some of you thinking ‘I told you so’! Having said that, I’m completely up for this challenge although I also know that there are limitations to how much of an impact I can make in less than three months. I’ll probably be greyer and balder by the time I’m done, but if I can influence even one of them to become a better student, the hair transformation may be worth it!

So while I teach them English, Math and Hindi, I want to throw a question to the readers of this piece. Have you ever tried teaching English or Math using Hindi as a medium of education? Are YOU up for the challenge? I bet not! Until now I never realized that I could barely complete a sentence in Hindi without throwing in a word or two of English. I see the children getting a kick out of me struggling, desperately trying to translate from English to Hindi and getting tongue-tied. It’s embarrassing but at least I’m learning. So what if the teachers happen to be my students?

Additionally, my students are also teaching me:

That a samosa and a cup of tea is a treat. Maggie noodles are an even bigger treat and chow mein and momo’s from a Tibetan street vendor are the ultimate happiness-giver!

That a Rs. 500 ($10) cricket bat can bring so much joy and definitely beats playing with a stick.

That going to Shimla, which is a little over an hour away by bus, is a bigger event than me traveling overseas.

That an indigenous MP3 player can be called an I-Pod and be one's most prized possession.

That one can have a birthday party without a cake, without presents (except for the ones I bring), no new clothes, no party favors, no games, but still be a joyous celebration with balloons, Maggie noodles and paneer (cottage cheese) sandwiches.

That birthdays don't really get celebrated (until after I got here).

That one doesn’t need washers and dryers. Each one wash and line-dry your own clothes for crying out loud!

There are very few disappointments.

Whining is worth nothing.

When you fall down running around in the farm, it’s okay that there’s usually no one around to pick you up.

That even when it's freezing, its not 'too cold' or when the sun is scorching down during their 30 minute walk back from school, it isn't 'too hot'. Or a 30 minute walk to school isn't 'too long'.

And so on ....

These children have become such an integral part of my life. Everyday I feel a little more humbled and hope that I can repay them by teaching them things that can be learned from a book in return for the lessons that I’m learning from their lives.

17 comments:

Sapna said...

Wow !! I loved the kids....u guys look like ONE HAPPY FAMILY :-)....u rock Ratan...I really like the way u r hvg loads of fun...the kids too are lucky to hv a unique experience having u around........taking the road completely untraveled is surely gainful :-)

Actual Spirit said...

LOVE IT!! Way to go!! JMD!

Anonymous said...

very impressive and humbling! - AM

Sujata said...

That was really lovely and very touching. I am sure you are doing an excellent job of teaching the kids and I also don’t know how u r going to tear yourself away from them when it is time for you to come home…………….

Aruna said...

THIS WAS ONE OF UR BEST BLOGS CLOSE TO MY HEART N MY THOUGHTS.

Chetan said...

Great blog. I could picture the kids very vividly! I'm vicariously enjoying this experience very much!

Uma said...

Very sweet, very touching, very insightful... This trip seems to be a truly wonderful experience for you. Keep writing like this and your book will be done by the time your trip is done :)

Dipali said...

loved it. can imagine the difficulty of trying to speak only hindi, i normally do a german, english and bits of hindi mix. Andreas is quite used to: honey, come to the tisch, khana is ready.

glad to hear u are fine and enjoying u´reself. its interesting u speaking about the 500 rs cricket bat and no washers etc. we were also recently having a conversation about what one needs, had just seen a programme on TV where this guy says that becoz of the financial crisis he cannot afford to go on holiday. what does one need - roti, kapda, makaan. maybe its finally time to free ourselves.

Susanta said...

This is mail of yours is a real eye opener. Yes we do go by life with knowing there is so much to learn and give. Its gr8 that ur atleast giving something in life. Give my love and best wishes to ur students and all the best to them in life.

Arjun said...

"Chow mein and momo’s from a Tibetan street vendor are the ultimate happiness-giver" - Agreed.

Fantastic stuff; a polar opposite to New York (I'm jealous).

Normal People Worry Me said...

Thank you all for your overwhelming response to my post. I sincerely feel that I'm the one who's benefitting the most from this experience and worry that the children will go back to the mode they were in 'before me'. If you have any ideas on how I can continue to impact their lives long distance please do share.

Vani said...

why do I feel wistful and maudlin whenever I read your blogs?

Amit Saxena said...

Awesome job there with the kids. I look at your posts and envy your life. This is something I am really proud about you.
Chalo ab bahot tarif ho gayee hai...Louisville kab aa rahe ho ?

earth said...

i got here a tad late. thankfully, i heard it all first hand from you.

its touching to say the least...

great pics! glad u ventured and took up this amazing challenge.

wish i can do something similar some day.. have been thinking about it for a bit now..

Minakshi said...

your teacher, students post brought tears to me eyes
what a rendezvous surely, makes me truly jealous of you!

Carol Rice said...

A lovely read. Your descriptions of the children bring them to life for us. I'm sure they all loved you and you were able to teach them so much. And I'm sure you would make a wonderful "father" ... so no more messing around ...

Normal People Worry Me said...

I like kids from a distance or if they are completely innocent. I'd make a terrible father!