Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Memories of Another Rain


Staring at the rain falling in a consistent pattern, I was glad to be indoors. Not being one of those people who love to get wet, I find being outside in the rain quite annoying. Which isn’t to say that I haven’t had more than my share of getting soaked. Whether it was Calcutta or New York, I’ve been caught unawares in a downpour innumerable times, seeking shelter for a while and then finally giving up and walking to my destination, feet wet through my canvas shoes or sandals, my wavy hair turning flat and my glasses wishing they had tiny wiper blades.

I do like the part where I come across other walkers in a similar situation, exchanging a knowing smile which says ‘I guess we may as well enjoy it’. A momentary connection with a stranger that will be forgotten in a flash.

I love the rain so much when I’m simply a spectator, protected by a roof over my head. Looking at people running for shelter or picking up pace under their umbrellas. The folks on motorcycles and bikes coming to a sudden stop for cover. We’ve seen so much rain but it’s always miracle-like for me - the Heaven’s turning on their sprinklers, making the dry moister, the air cleaner and the green greener. Washing the dust off, it feels like laundry day. 

A short while ago I was watching two little girls who got off their school bus. It was drizzling but they refused to get under their mothers waiting umbrellas. Kept running around, giggling, completely deaf to their mom’s screaming at them. I was sitting by the window, not being able to contain my own laughter and wished later that I had taken a picture.   

A favorite childhood memory is associated with rain. Growing up, we knew everyone in our neighbourhood. Not just the people living on our street, but the one past the main road, the parallel streets as well as the perpendicular ones. 

I was probably all of 1o years old. It was another one of those Calcutta rainy, monsoon days when you feel like you’ll never see the sun again. Stores were shut and the streets were empty. The rain had been falling incessantly for the past few days and life had pretty much come to a standstill. People were starting to get stir-crazy when someone must have had the brilliant idea of having a very wet picnic. My older sisters and I were standing on our balcony, probably bored out of our minds as we had even lost power, when we saw a group of people coming towards us. It was mostly their friends and a few of mine. They were going around the neighborhood, having everyone come out of their homes and enjoy the rain. 

There must have been at least fifty ‘kids’ and the group kept getting larger as the word spread. We went to the local park which was full of puddles and played there for hours. I distinctly remember the laughter, the unending laughter. The peals of laughter each time the drizzle would turn into a heavy downpour. The constant smiles and giggles as we’d splash water on each other, knowing that we couldn’t possibly get any more wet. The jumping in the puddles, every single one of us soaked to the skin, our mother’s probably worrying about us getting sick and knowing that they could do absolutely nothing about it. 

There was no food but it was definitely a picnic. I don’t know if I can transport you there with my descriptions, but as I write this I can’t stop smiling. These memories were of a much simpler time. When it was people and not possessions that made us happy. When laughter came without a price. And when the monsoons were also a time to have a picnic.

12 comments:

Aparna said...

Made me smile too :)

Ashoke said...

Great . The two pictures of Calcutta were really nice.

Anonymous said...

nostalgia in a teacup ....bring it on ;)...rain and words and memories of another time....

Vinod said...

It is very similar but I was transported to my childhood days where instead of rain it used to be snowfalls... sitting by window when we looked out, it seemed we were climbing up and up going into sky... the whole landscape would get covered in a white blanket... wonderful days were those....

Sabita said...

This is a beautiful piece. Made me smile as well as moved me, especially the last paragraph.

Usha Chattopadhaya said...

बहुत सुन्दर ! अभिव्यक्तियां भाव के हिसाब से एकदम संतुलित न कम न ज्यादा | तुम्हारी लेखकीय प्रतिभा कहाँ छिपी थी ?

Normal People Worry Me said...

I'm glad I brought a smile to your face Aparna!
Thank you Ashoke.
Anonymous, I wish I knew who you were but thank you!
I can only imagine Vinod. Sounds magical.
Thanks didi.
शुक्रिया उषा दीदी। आपको पसंद आया बस उसी से मेरे लिखने का मकसद पूरा हो गया। लिखने की प्रितभा हमेशा से थी, तब दिमाग दूसरी चीज़ों से भरा था और लिकने के लिए समय नहीं निकाला।

Sujata said...

That was such a wonderful piece. Took me back to New Alipore and the wonderful times we had there.

Uma K said...

Very lovely piece Ratan! Couldn't stop smiling :)

Normal People Worry Me said...

Thank you Sujata, Julie and Uma.
Sujata, yes we were lucky to have grown up in New Alipore where it seemed like we were a big family.
Uma, I see from you comment that you're still smiling!

Carol Rice said...

Lovely Ratan, thank you for sharing your happy childhood memories :)

Normal People Worry Me said...

You're very welcome Carol! Thanks for reading :)