Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Chapter 9

I feel like I’m on the verge of an event that will change my life. If not an event, then maybe a revelation. I have no clue as to what it may be. But I can sense it, feel it approaching, almost reach out to it. Not having the slightest idea of what this may be is oftentimes frustrating, though I can be quite patient when the situation requires me to be. And on the other hand, sometimes the suspense is quite thrilling.

If you’re wondering as to how I know this, all I can respond with is, ‘I just do’. It’s a psychic ability I possess that I’ve kept from the world until now.

If you’re thinking that I’ve finally lost it, my thought process is completely the opposite. I think I may actually be very close to finding it. Finding that one thing that is going to clue me into the next and possibly final chapter of my life. Not that I’m planning on dying anytime soon! It could be an extensive chapter. One that my gut tells me is going to be very different from my past.

If you’re thinking that I’m going to get married, then you are completely nuts.

This evening I was having a phone conversation with this guy, Rabi, who’s making a movie. During the course of our call he began asking me about all the things I have my fingers in. The catering business. The script that I’ve written. The restaurant. Why don’t I write a travelogue? Why don’t I conduct cooking classes? My corporate past making sudden appearances. Etc etc. As I mumbled through my responses unconvincingly, I jokingly told him that since he was in the process of finalizing the music and songs for his movie, I would be happy to sing for free. To which he responded, ‘Is there anything that you don’t do?’

There are of course numerous things that I don’t do, though for a moment I felt like Anusha, the airhead VJ in Delhi Belly. The one who wanted to sing and act and dance and have her own ‘clothes-line’!

Unfortunately although I have the ability to do various things, I’m not exceptional at any one of them. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, considering my track record of how quickly I get bored and how short my attention span is. I don’t agree with the negative connotation behind the ‘jack of all trades’ figure of speech. If I was a chef and that’s all I did, I would begin to hate cooking. I like the variety. The option to wake up in the morning and decide which hat it is that I want to wear today.

Actually there is one thing that I do better than most. ‘Nothing’. I watched ‘Eat Pray Love’ a couple of days ago. There was a sequence in the movie that I could completely relate to - the dolce far niente or the ‘sweetness of doing nothing’ scene. I’m a champion at it. If there was a contest for doing nothing, I would be a top contender. Unfortunately for me, it’s not a recognized skill, even though it should be. If you think it’s easy, try doing nothing for a week.

So getting back to where I started, my gut or my psychic abilities tell me that I’m on the verge of something big, a life directing event (or revelation). Not a financial event because I think having excessive money is highly overrated and losing what I have would really suck big time. Not a career type event because I would simply get bored after a while. Not a life partner type event because one of us would kill the other within no time.

Not that being in the poor house or in prison for killing my spouse would not be a life changer, but I’m pretty sure that it’s going to be something positive. Something that’s going to make me go, ‘Ah, so this is the new chapter of my life’. Something that will also make me go, ‘Duh .. how come I didn’t figure this out sooner?’.

Something that I just can’t put my finger onto. But I can almost feel/taste/smell it. The reason I decided to share it with all of you is so that I could come back and say ‘Aha! Didn’t I tell you?’

10 comments:

vinod said...

"psychic ability" you are plain lucky that you can write what you want and get away with it also almost like Catherine Tramell in BI :-)

Radhika said...

As you wait for your "aha moment", let's hope the change will be something great and positive. Meanwhile, enjoy " la dolce far niente" , as very few people have the ability to do that!!!

Jackie said...

Ratan,
I wanted to let you know that I do read your blog always whether I comment or not, but they have been lacking the past couple of chapters. You used to at least write about something, your opinion about something or something you did and now it is getting to be nothing. I think you need to do something so you have something interesting to write about.
I think I told you about my plans back at Marriott 2 years ago, that I was going to buy a yacht and sail off to Australia. That being my goal we moved to Florida for two years and now just quit our jobs 3 weeks ago and are on a farewell tour around the USA. We have driven to New England to say hello and goodbye to his family, of course stopping in NYC for one night, onto Cincinnati for a week to see my family and now are in Chicago just because it is a great city and we have a dear friend with whom to stay. Were heading to S. Dak., Montana and Idaho where we will do some rough camping away from everyone and then head down to southern California to stay with friends for a couple of months. Once we return to Florida we will begin our serious look for the perfect boat in which to fulfill our dreams. We hope to be sailing by the first of the year. Have you ever thought about crewing? Maybe we could hook up again.
Well, I hope that the change you are looking for comes to you soon. Take care!
Jackie

Tamal said...

I did read the article. Interesting. I do understand gut feelings. But the funny thing is, when you say a change is coming, we tend to think either career, financial or personal. But since you have eliminated all of them, i have no clue what it will be. But hey i will wait for you to let me know when the change happens. :)

and more importantly, i sincerely hope you have the best of luck experiencing this new phase of your life.

Susan said...

This one sounds interesting. I hope you are onto something new. You are so very talented and versatile that it's hard for you to settle one just one thing.

I'm in the prep stages for a routine colonoscopy today, which really is YUK. Why don't you consider inventing something to make the prep less difficult???

Anyway don't feel like much of anything right now, so I'll sign off. Keep me posted and hope you have your "epiphany" soon. All the best, Susan

Sujata said...

I am sure something great is going to happen.......and believe me I have been having that feeling too for you......not so easy to believe is it? its just that i did not say anything about it so far. but i am also waiting for for something big to happen soooooon:)lots of love and luck for whatever it may be.....

Naresh said...

I do read your blog and at times, wait for a new one to show up. Every post has a different dimension to it and when I read it as an end receiver, it has a definitive message. Though I wish that I can give up my 9 to 6 job and wear a different "hat", I can seldom do that. You have successfully done that, and you have excelled in it as well !!. All that I can say is, when there is a positive thought- positive energy always backs it and a positive change is bound to happen. ( I am not disciple of a spiritual leader).

Wishing you the very best- as always!!
Cheers,
Naresh

Vani Sharma said...

Its like standing on the brink of a cliff waiting to to step off. A totally "WOW" experience. I am excited for you. Keep me looped when it does happen adn good luck!:)

earth said...

well bro, i've had this psychic gut-feel thing for u a long time ago, and it has stayed for a long time now. and tho u may say, "duh.. of course not..that's just one of the many things", i feel that's what it is. u r going to move into the world of cinema, the magic of movie making, in a big way. n no, i wouldn't limit it by categorizing it under the career move piece - no way. that's trying to put an ocean into a bottle (that was original, btw). the world of movie making awaits u. as i've always maintained, a guy of ur intelligence, sensitivity, looks, charm, who is well read and well travelled, who is sociable and social, clear headed (about what not to do), not to mention all the abilities/trades at which u r admittedly a jack (which i agree is not bad at all), is so cut out for this creative space where everyday u can wake up and decide what thought to think, what subject to pick n pursue when, what hat to wear n what role to play (n i don't mean 'role' in the acting sense of the word. and it gives u the freedom to pursue a few things on the side, as is ur dna. that's it.
not trying to force the thot but i feel so convinced..:) and i am excited for you. good luck n my best to u..!

ps: on a completely different note, the 'dolce far niente' or the ‘sweetness of doing nothing’ is something i completely suck at; i lack the ability, period. and so, i would love for a few tips from u, the unsung expert, to get my restless self to relax n do nothing for a change..!:);)

Anonymous said...

Your feeling reminded me of the lyrics to a song called Somthings Coming from West Side Story....

Elsa


Could be!
Who knows?
There's something due any day;
I will know right away,
Soon as it shows.
It may come cannonballing down through the sky,
Gleam in its eye,
Bright as a rose!

Who knows?
It's only just out of reach,
Down the block, on a beach,
Under a tree.
I got a feeling there's a miracle due,
Gonna come true,
Coming to me!

Could it be? Yes, it could.
Something's coming, something good,
If I can wait!
Something's coming, I don't know what it is,
But it is
Gonna be great!

With a click, with a shock,
Phone'll jingle, door'll knock,
Open the latch!
Something's coming, don't know when, but it's soon;
Catch the moon,
One-handed catch!

Around the corner,
Or whistling down the river,
Come on, deliver
To me!
Will it be? Yes, it will.
Maybe just by holding still,
It'll be there!

Come on, something, come on in, don't be shy,
Meet a guy,
Pull up a chair!
The air is humming,
And something great is coming!
Who knows?
It's only just out of reach,
Down the block, on a beach,
Maybe tonight . . .