Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Love Affair

A strange thing happened to me the other day. A friend of the family sent an email out inviting me to a 17 day trip to Mount Kailash and Lake Mansarovar in September. Venkat, the sender of the email, is an avid mountaineer and participates in multiple treks every year. A couple of years ago I had expressed to him an interest in going to Lake Mansarovar and although there have been opportunities in the past, the timing was never right.

You’re probably thinking “so what’s so strange about being invited to a trek to the Himalayas?”.
I’m getting to that part in a bit.

As some of you may be aware, I am off to spend a couple of months in New York towards the latter part of April. I’ve always talked shamelessly about my love affair with the city, written several posts about it and probably bored many to near-death. It’s been 16 months since my last visit to New York and you would think that I would be euphoric about being there in a few days.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m definitely looking forward to it. I may even go to the extent and say that I’m excited. But the ‘strange thing’ is that (here it comes) I’m way more excited about spending 17 days in the mountains, 5 months from now. My mind has put New York into the back burner.

I had already decided that this time I was going to do things in New York that I probably hadn’t done before. I have no idea what they are but I’ll figure it out. Probably do ‘off-off-Broadway’ instead of ‘off-Broadway’ or ‘Broadway’. Find high-in-character, low-in-glitz, scrumptious-in-taste restaurants. Take photos in streets that have no name (corny I know). I’m starting off by staying in Flatiron, a location that is quite new for me. The rest, I guess, will follow. Oh and I have the Fine Cooking class that I’ve signed up for, friends and some family coming to visit me while I’m there. I know I’ll have more than a blast.

So maybe it’s the excitement of going to a new place, the serenity of the Himalayas, the being-one-with-nature that has got me more excited. I know I’ll be eating basic food, lugging my luggage, staying in tents, freezing my butt off. Doesn’t sound like too much of a holiday, does it? Then why is it that every time I think about it, my heart almost begins to pound? We all know the answer. I’m just playing with you guys!

Strange thoughts are now being processed in my mind. Thoughts such as ‘this could be my last trip to New York in a while’. It costs me a lot of money to visit the city that I love, largely because I choose to spend a significant amount of time there and renting a place in Manhattan is expensive. Maybe I need to channel those funds elsewhere and discover new loves (or hates). Until a few days ago, it was a given in my mind that I’d be making a trip to the Big Apple every year. I used to make fun of this friend in Chicago who, every summer, went with his family to North Carolina. Never went anyplace new because it was tried and tested and they knew what to expect. I could never understand it. And then I think that, am I really being the same way? Should I be making fun of myself now? I know it’s not the same thing because New York isn’t my only vacation of the year. But still.

Is my love affair coming to an end?
I have no idea. But I figure I’ll have the answer in a couple of months.

10 comments:

Vinod said...

On the hindsight it is an affair so it is sure to end some day. I only hope you latch on to next one before you end the existing one.
:-)

Michelle said...

Maybe there is a little bit of grizzly Adams in you that you didn’t know you had under that city slicker skin of yours.

Sudeep said...

Fabulous thought, esp coz it resonates!

Sabita said...

Hope the love affair isn't coming to an end! This will mean that I won't get to see you every couple of years or so. But...like its been said, all good things have to come to an end sooner or later.

Kailash and Mansarovar will be awesome. Physically it will be very strenuous which is why I can't think of going there any more, although 10-15 years ago I would have jumped at such an opportunity. Now I'll enjoy it vicariously through your visit!

Tamal said...

Love affairs are malleable, they keep changing and adapting...i am sure your love of New York City can co exist with your newer interests!

:)

Aparna said...

no.. its just becoming a steady relationship, the spark is not THAAT exciting and there are temptations that lie else where :)

Manju said...

So maybe the Big Apple may no longer be The Love Affair of your life - perhaps the relationship has matured to that of a comfortable but loving long term relationship. Not boring, but deep and reassuring so when you visit there's the nostalgia of bred through years of familiarity, honest love and always something new and exciting to explore. :-)

Uma K said...

Kailash-Mansarovar??? That is something to truly make the heart pound!! And maybe it signifies the start of a new affair! ;)
The newness of New York must be beginning to wear off I suppose...

Normal People Worry Me said...

So yeah I'm sure most of you are right about me getting comfortable with my relationship with NY while looking to get stimulated elsewhere! I know NY will be great once I'm there and maybe I'll just have to have multiple loves!

Anonymous said...

"the minute you let her under your skin, then you begin to make it better".

You have not discovered all of her, you have only explored that which has been visible and where others have gone. You need to treat her like the Himalayas and know that she too can be cold and dangerous but still needs to be explored to discover that Manhattan is not her only charm... Elsa