Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Summer of 2008

It’s been a while. Summer is on its way out. The lease on my apartment runs out this month. With each passing day, I get closer to checking off ‘Living in New York’ from my ‘List of things to do before I die’.

It’s been quite an incredible summer. I’ve had family and friends visiting me from all over – Hong Kong, Bangalore, Chennai, New Jersey, Chicago, Georgia, Cincinnati, Boston, Connecticut, Philadelphia – gosh, I think I’ve met more family in the past two months than I have in the past 2 years!

I want to leave New York while I’m still on a high about this city. As memorable as my time has been, I know that I cannot possibly live here. The pressure of having to be in shape, dressing well, trying out new restaurants, the constant feeling of ‘wanting to be out and either making the most of a beautiful day’ or ‘going to a show’ or just doing ‘something’ is exhausting. I’m exhausted. I want to go back to Bangalore and do absolutely nothing for a few days.

You’d be exhausted too if your summer included eating out almost everyday (and gaining weight as a result), 2 Broadway shows, a symphony, a ballet performance, exploring different parts of Central Park including the much hyped carriage ride, spending a day at the humungous Metropolitan Museum, going back to the Museum of Modern Art (just because …), doing a 3 day bus tour of the city, a speedboat ride into the East River, still trying to go to the gym 3 times a week, entertaining relatives, getting portraits made, attending a wedding and several parties, visiting art galleries, going to the US Open, miles of walking everyday, etc.

However, nothing in the world is more exhausting than shopping. My sisters who were visiting from India had insisted that they were not interested in shopping while I went ‘yeah yeah’ in my mind. I was amazed at the number of purses, footwear, clothes and more purses, footwear and clothes that they ended up with. Why am I even surprised? I really am not. I’m just wondering how the heck I’m going to get all the stuff that I’ve bought in the past year home. And I’m still looking to buy more. I hate the materialistic side of me. But I figure, when am I going to be in a city again where the lowest end store is a Macy’s?

People ask me about my New York experience and I can without hesitation say that it’s been one of the best years of my life. So much has happened that it feels like several years were packed into just one. There were times when I would try to not make plans but plans would get made by a larger force! Unexpected calls from people I never imagined I would see here. When I left Bangalore I used to joke about not giving my number and address to anyone so I wouldn’t have houseguests. And for those of you who think that I constantly had guests in Bangalore, my 400 sq foot apartment out here has seen WAY more action. I’m dead sure that the 111-year-old building that I live in has never seen so many people come and go. There were days when there was no walking space in my apartment as every square foot of free space had an airbed with someone sleeping on it.

However, all good things must come to an end. I have 47 more days in the city and I plan to make the most of each of them. Day 46 is going to have me going back to the US Open to see the Men’s finals. As much as I was hoping for a Federer-Nadal match, I really am not complaining about having to watch Federer-Murray. How many of us have the opportunity? I feel so lucky and so blessed to have the life that I do. I love being ME so thank you God!

2 comments:

Uma said...

So your New York sojourn is coming to an end... welcome home, buddy! I hope you will keep this blog running even after you get back. Enjoy the rest of your stay!

Anonymous said...

Dude, sorry to hear of your hardship in going to shows, US open and eating out. We are having a grand old time going to work. Cry me a river - SJ