Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Of Mice and Movies

Recently I came across a mouse in my apartment. Which I found out, is not an uncommon occurrence in New York apartments. I had suspected that these creatures did make an appearance but I had never actually seen one for myself. So when I got out of bed a few night’s ago to get a drink of water and turned on the kitchen light I saw IT. We completely took each other by surprise and scared the s*** out of each other. He began running for cover and I muffled up a scream and jumped around a little, not knowing what else to do. A few seconds later, I saw it disappear into a crevice and I made my way back into the bedroom without the drink of water. My heart was pounding and I got under the covers and quietly went back to sleep.

The next morning I called the building superintendent who sent the exterminator who set up traps and did whatever else he was supposed to do. Gave me all kinds of tips on how I could prevent mice from returning in the future. But I haven’t seen once since and I’m really not one for following instructions.

Anyway, the only reason I tell this story is so I could have a clever-ish title for this posting!

So now I’m going to move on to movies.

Is it just me or did Hollywood hit rock bottom with the quality of movies last year? I mean if you look at the Oscar nominations for the past year, you have ‘Michael Clayton’ a mediocre ‘thriller’ at best which you forget as soon as you leave the theatre. ‘No Country for Old Men’ a much hyped movie about a maniac who goes about killing everyone. ‘There will be Blood’ – highly pretentious with an eye on the Oscars (just like ‘Babel’ was a couple of years ago). ‘Juno’, a heartwarming movie about a pregnant sarcastic, cynical and funny teenager, which deserved to make the money that it did, but an Oscar nomination? And finally ‘Atonement’ which I guess had all the ingredients to please the critics so I’m going to let this one go.

I was having a discussion about the recent mediocrity in Hollywood with a friend of mine and we both were of the opinion that they should have just cancelled the Oscars. “Sorry, but this year there will be no Academy Awards because we’re scraping the bottom of the barrel and still not coming up with great films. See ya next year … hopefully!”

I watched the latest Indiana Jones a couple of weeks ago. This was one movie I was really looking forward to and was extremely disappointed that it had received such poor reviews. So even though my interest had dwindled considerably, I eventually decided to go watch it. Maybe it was my lack of expectations, but I thoroughly enjoyed the film. I thought it had all the ingredients (masala) I was looking for. It had the pace, the adventure, the humor and the whole look! Loved it! Of course no Oscar nominations for this one though!

Another movie that I really enjoyed in the recent past is called ‘The Visitor’. A small film with no big names performing in it. Highly recommended. Don’t miss it.

Sadly, these are the only two movies that I’ve actually been glad to have watched this year. Slim pickings my friends. Is Hollywood running out of ideas? I sincerely hope not because we so look forward to original films from LA. And if Hollywood is running out of ideas, where is Bollywood going lift its ideas from (sorry couldn’t resist that)?

And I cannot end this ‘movie write-up’ without talking about one of my most favorite films that I watched once again this week – ‘Fight Club’. Every time I watch it, I seem to get enthralled by it even more! Of course the credit for the movie has to go to the book written by Chuck Palahniuk. I remember our book club in Bangalore read the book and watched the movie and all the women cringed. The men, on the other hand, thought it was the greatest! I never thought I would use the word ‘brilliant’ to describe any performance by Brad Pitt. He should be kissing the director's feet that he got to do this movie, by far his best. And Edward Norton, as always is outstanding. This movie probably has the most amazing and memorable dialogues that I’ve come across. My favorite line in the movie - the things you own end up owning you - Tyler rocks! And the entire premise is SO original, and if you think about it, SO pertinent. This is one movie that you either GET and love or DON'T GET and hate. There is no middle ground. Okay, I’m going to stop gushing now…..I just want to say that I even bought the script for this movie (the things you can buy on the streets of New York City!)

I could go on and on about movies but I’m going to stop before I lose each and every one of you.
I’m stopping.
I’ve stopped.
THE END (credits rolling).

10 comments:

Tamal said...

you finally wrote about it, eh. Here's my two cents. The movies of last year, most of them were highly disappointing. But a few of them i really liked. In the valley of Elah, Gone baby Gone, and last but not the least, Sweeney Todd: the demon barber of fleet street were films i loved.
Sweeney Todd specially because of its genre subverting antics. Would you believe i still listen to the ost of sweeney on a daily basis?

Jeff said...

Now you must know that you and Fred Durst, of Limp Bizkit fame, have something in common with your "multiple" viewings of Fight Club? I also really get a charge from that movie, and, it causes me, for just a few moments, to forget that I am my khakis.

Nice synopis of this past year's films. I missed it a couple of years back but rented Paris, je t'aime the other night and enjoyed it thoroughly...and I don't speak French.

Vidya and Arun said...

I saw the title of the post and felt a personal connection. The kind where a rat makes a connection with your toe while you are at the movies. It happened to me. I thought it happened to you too and was all set to be empathetic, sympathetic, etc. Sigh... i guess it's just me then. Nice post though!

Uma said...

Haaaahaa!! I can just picture you jumping around and screaming after seeing the mouse!! At least it was a mouse. Here we have rats - some months back a large specimen got into my utility room and I had a tough time getting him out.

About the crop of disappointing Oscar films - I haven't seen any of them yet but am kind of put off by them for the same reason I didn't enjoy Fight Club - too much gratuitous violence. But just last night I saw a violent film I actually enjoyed - Johnny Gaddar. I wonder if you got to see it in NY - but it's really nice. Hindi films are really improving - a new film by a new director Aamir has got rave reviews. I hope to watch Dharm within the next couple of days...

Anonymous said...

Pretty brilliant piece! Your comments on the gender divide regarding Fight Club are very appropriate. Maybe sometime you can enlighten me on what we, as females are not able to see in it that guys do. I did see the movie on Vivek's recommendation and still don't understand what the fuss was about!

Anonymous said...

You write very well, indeed. Why don’t you try your luck as a professional author?

Unknown said...

Without doubt one of the greatest movies ever made, unfortunately haven't been able to get my hands on the CD since I've moved to Blr (it's too much to head out to National Market for this). And thanks for the update on the author can't miss out on the book either.

asliarun said...

Spotted a new book by Chuck P in a bookstore yesterday, and thought you should know. From the synopsis, it promises to be as harebrained crazy as most of his other books.

A movie that I discovered this year, and which completely surprised me with its quality was Princess Mononoke.

Anonymous said...

FINALLY, Finally, finally a response. Loved Michael Clayton, would not go to the bloody movies, did see The Visitor and agree that it was wonderful. Have not seen Indiana Jones yet but will soon. To tell you the truth, I've been overwhelmed with the loss of Tim Russert. I'm sure you must have seen some of the coverage on TV and recognize who he was. He was as good as they get and a tribute to what makes this a great country. Oh, that we could just get back to our basics as a country and not be meddling in other people's business.

Anonymous said...

You had me laughing at your mouse story. I could so see you doing that!