Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

‘Play’ing with the Stars!

I was trying to think if I had ever seen a Hollywood actor in person and I finally remembered having seen John Malkovich in a play in Chicago a few years ago. The solo American movie star who I had seen in flesh and blood.

That was then ... my pre-New York days!

Things have changed in the past couple of weeks when I’ve had a windfall of movie star sightings! Most of them as a result of shelling out the greens on Broadway and worth every penny that was spent.

Laura Linney, of Love Actually, Primal Fear, The Truman Show, Mystic River etc etc and one of my most favorite actresses in the raunchy production of Dangerous Liaisons.
Lawrence Fishburne of The Matrix series of films, Mystic River, Bad Company, Mission Impossible III and many more in the one man act in and as Thurgood (Marshall), the first black Supreme Court Justice of the United States.
Frances McDormand, Best Actress, Oscar winner for Fargo AS the country girl IN The Country Girl directed by the hugely talented Mike Nichols!
Peter Gallagher of American Beauty, While you were sleeping, Sex Lies and Videotape as the director who brings a has-been, deeply troubled actor back into the limelight in The Country Girl.
and saving the best for the last
Morgan Freeman who needs no introduction, as the alcoholic actor who’s getting a chance to make a major comeback in The Country Girl!

Do I sound like I’m bragging? That’s because I am. And why shouldn’t I? All you film buffs are probably green with envy. And you’re going to get even more jealous when I tell you that I got Lawrence Fishburne’s autograph and was backstage just inches away from Morgan Freeman.

I was completely overwhelmed at the end of each of these plays. I'm not sure if it was because the plays were outstanding or the fact that I was seeing these actors, who I had watched in a number of movies, performing live in front of me. What is it about seeing a celebrity in person that gets us so wired? I'm guessing its the fact that a larger than life character we’re so used to seeing behind a screen turns out to be a real person, just like one of us. This person really does exist and is not unreachable. Plus of course the fact that we can brag about it!

That’s not all. Chris Rock was in my neighborhood. One solitary block from where I live. I didn’t even have to pay to see him. I was walking back home after my workout and saw a small but starry eyed crowd standing outside this restaurant that spans almost the entire block. Upon inquiry I found out that the Rock man was about to come out of the limo that had just made its way outside the eatery and within seconds Mr. Rock was waving to the crowds amidst much cheering and whistling. One more celebrity sighting under my belt!

I went to the New York Knicks last home game of the season, playing the Boston Celtics. No big stars playing that game since competitively it didn’t matter who won or lost. It was still exciting to be there. Jack Nicholson was in the same stadium! The half time and time-out entertainment was definitely more enjoyable than the game but that too wasn’t the best part. The best part was all the free food and drink you could have! Free coke, free hot dogs, free popcorn, free ice-cream, free candy, free pizza. Nothing like a good deal in “the land of the free”! Sure gave us a lot of
k(n)icks. I know I know, I’m starting to kill you with my lame jokes.

I’ve now got used to hobnobbing with the stars. I don’t know if I can handle being among mere mortals any longer. Or at least not for an extended period. I feel like I have to change my social circle. Walk the red carpet. Shun the paparazzi. Give interviews with inside information about my celebrity friends. Designer suits. Tall fenced in homes. Weekends at the French Riviera. Yeah yeah yeah. Shut up already .....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

great! you are like a kid in a candy store. i have to say that for someone who loves living in nyc - i totally identify with what you are saying.

come people, join us, there is always room for more here!

Uma said...

Huh?? You never struck me as the celebrity-watching type! Though I do envy you for all the wonderful plays you get to see... Enjoy maadi!

gumbo777 said...

I'm suprised you even shared the story with the mere mortals in your life. LOL. Enjoy your few months left in stars-ville. (KW)

asliarun said...

You forgot... "wearing oversized shades". Then again, everyone and dog (at least in Chandigarh) wears them nowadays.

Had read this bit of trivia somewhere that Steven Spielberg writes cheques in restaurants instead of using cards. He does this because most people end up framing the cheque instead of cashing it, and Spielberg basically gets a free ride everywhere!

Naresh said...

Boy, you seem to be really running amuck in NY! And here is my attempt to bring you from your high! I was living in Goa during the late 70s when Euan Lloyd shot the multi-starrer "Sea Wolves" for a full 6 months on location. The movie of course fell like a thud at the box office. Bu as a college kid & and a good friend of Karl Brietkoff (son of a technical director or consultant for the production), I got to see the shooting from close quarters. A few friends even got to have a private lunch with the cast - Gregory Peck, Roger Moore, David Niven, and Euan Lloyd. I think at the Hotel Fidalgo. And Kunal Kapoor was the crowd controller!

Naresh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
earth said...

hey there, remember me..?

wow! i sure am green with envy - mostly for the life u r managing to lead, the nyc spirit and air that u seem to enjoy and breathe, the broadway plays u get to watch!!! not to mention getting to be in the same time n space with the likes of jack nicholson and morgan freeman (gawd, i didnt know he was/is an alcoholic!)

well, continue to have fun.. n miss me!:)