Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tso Moriri, Ladakh

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Spring Awaitening!

Many years ago I acted in a play called Spring Awakening. Which happens to be running on Broadway, 2 blocks from where my friends Subbu and Aparna live. Since this was so long ago, there isn’t too much I remember about the play except that we performed at Kala Mandir Basement in Calcutta during a time when English theatre was very popular with the student population and the burra saab snooty families of the city. I also remember some of the other cast members, the only claim to fame being Smita Tharoor, sister of author Shashi Tharoor and winner of the Miss Calcutta beauty pageant. In addition I remember having a crush on this other girl, whose initials are VS and who sadly didn’t feel the same way about me. Instead there was this third girl (whose name I can’t for the life of me remember) who felt the way I wanted VS to feel. And since I don’t even remember her initials, I’m sure you can understand the impact she made on me.

However, I digress here. Because this piece isn’t about the play. Or about the people that were a part of the play. I just happened to think of it since I’m so eagerly awaiting the arrival of spring.

For the folks that have been living in New York for a while, this has been a mild winter. We had only a few really arctic days and just one snowfall where the white stuff stuck on the ground for a couple of days. It’s not even the cold that has bothered me as much as it’s been the gloom. Cloudy, rainy, dark, gloomy days. How many of those can one take without feeling low? Coupled with flight cancellations, having to walk to places, not being able to find a cab, wind chill, it can become a real downer.

Hopefully the worst is behind us. Although one can never predict anything with the weather system anymore. Nothing is a surprise, what with tornados in December, snow in April, hot and humid conditions in October, who knows what’s really coming next.

And what’s with the spring collection in stores in January during sub-zero temperatures? I lost my really cool pair of ear muffs but I couldn’t find another pair for the life of me because stores were selling sunglasses and tank tops. Why would I want to walk into a store and try on a pair of shorts and a polo shirt and spend 10 minutes taking off all my layers and putting them back on again? I really DO have a life!

With what you’ve read so far, I’m sure you would never think that I’m just not a cold weather person! However it really is true. I admit that I don’t like winters (gasp). The cold makes me want to stay home instead of going out. It makes me want soup instead of sushi. It makes my teeth chatter when I’m outside and a few minutes later break into a sweat in the subway station. It brings rich Europeans to New York City at Christmas time who stand in line outside Tiffany’s and Saks Fifth Avenue like they’re a Walmart selling discounted junk.

But most of all I love spring because it means green trees instead of brown, it means more of the sun and less of the clouds, it means longer days, bigger smiles, more people on the streets, fewer clothes and not to forget a spring in my step! Bring it on baby!!

12 comments:

Uma said...

Hey Ratan,

Your thoughts echo mine about the rainy season in India - gloomy and wet, with the additional irritation of enhanced allergies... I am so thankful to be staying in a tropical country with bright sunshine most of the time. I would like to see snow nonetheless...

Cheers,
Uma

Shauna said...

Spring is the smell of cookies before they come out of the oven. The chirp of the cardinal before you see her in the tree. The first date with the person you marry. The hope when you turn the corner and believe, if even for a moment, that things will turn out the way you want.

Actual Spirit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Your style, and the flow it generates, is fantastic- a true gift. You don't take yourself too seriously, which makes it feel natural and young!

I really enjoy the way you give both animate and inanimate objects a vivid personality; can't wait for your next post.

Anonymous said...

RR,

I am untied and unbusy at the moment but have to confess that there were times when you called and I saw your ID and did not answer..or that I did not feel like chatting and was to busy watching TV to bother.. so I hope that these revelations are making you roll all over the floor in laughter. I feel better now and have to look busy because I am at work. Keep unpealing those layers of who you are and happy blogging.... I would blog myself, but as aforementioned..I am now tied up for " I am late, I'm late, for a very important date" Now if the white rabbit would have stopped and told Alice that he was not interested in conversing with her, would we have been able to all look through the looking glass... hmmmm
Don't uou hate it when people sign of as if they are leaving and then continue? OK I will REALLY stop now.

Normal People Worry Me said...

I have no idea who you are Anonymous (all the other times I have been able to guess) so please reveal your identity. Or else .... its going to drive me nuts!

Tarale Seena said...

"selling sunglasses and tank tops". LOL, this reminded me of the time when I had taken my visiting parents to Niagara falls, all the way from Atlanta GA. It was April and quite sunny down in the South, I had no idea what was in store up there. The day we landed it started snowing cats and dogs, it was almost a 24 inch snow overnight, may be I'm exaggerating. I had not carried any gear for my parents, and they felt they were in hell.
I drove around the entire Buffalo city looking for a pair of gloves and mittens, and the entire friggin city is carrying beach wear, sun glasses and sun tan lotions, but nothing,not even a jacket. I end up buying workman gloves and boots.
It's funny that when Walmart decides it's warm enough for them, the entire retail industry ditches winter gear for the season.

Unknown said...

Just read this - I remember acting in the play in Cal and nearly went to see it here in London. Didn't get around to it.Remind me, what was your part?
Smita

Normal People Worry Me said...

I have no clue Smita! I seriously don't remember anything about the play. I was the guy with a mustache and thick glasses, if that helps!

Anonymous said...

RockinRatan was one of the teachers in the play as was I was.

Smita played Wendla.

I've RockinRatan for years and I know all about ye famouse crushe and I remember the other girl as well!!

Normal People Worry Me said...

You need to begin purging some of those memories Ajesh. You remember way too much!

Anonymous said...

The SloMan would suggest RockinRatan be careful what he wishes for !

The effluence from said purge may just end up on a blog somewhere...